Located in the Baramula district of Jammu and Kashmir, earlier known as “Gauri Marg”, where Gauri stands for Goddess Parvati, the wife of Lord Shiva, later on changed to “Gulmarg” by King Yusuf Shah Chak is a majestic tourist’s spot.
Gulmarg means “meadow of flowers”. It is located in the midst of beautiful landscapes, gardens with magnificent flowers, lakes and a lot more. Gulmarg has one the best golf course. This spot was a destination to royal families and to British too.
Mother Nature has showered all her love on this beautiful hill station. It is the best opportunity to be with the nature for nature enthusiast. It is also a good spot for family vacation and for newly married couples.
Main Attractions of Gulmarg:
- Gondola: Known for its unruffled beauty is a part of Gulmarg. The village is set at the backdrop of picturesque Himalayan Peaks, and has got uninterrupted, unspoiled beauty. The main attraction of this spot is Gondola Lift, a cable car commuting between Gondola to Kongdoor. The trip in this cable car gives you the enthralling view of the beauty from the top.
- Alpathar Lake: The Lake is situated 13kms from Gulmarg, beyond Khilanmarg. This triangular lake is frozen till June, and even in the later part of the year the streaks of floating ice are seen.
- Khilanmarg: It is the treat for every tourist’s eyes. The meadow looks like an enthralling thick carpet of fascinating flowers. It gives you lifetime experience of the scenic beauty, surrounded thick dense forests. It is the best spot to enjoy the freshness of this location.
- Golf: Established in 1911, the Gulmarg Golf Club is the biggest golf course in India. In 20th century British came to this spot for relaxation. The played golf on this beautiful green thick patch.
- Baba Reshi Shrine: The mosque was built in 1480 and dedicated to the great Muslim scholar and Saint Baba Reshi. Every year thousands of devotees visit this place, regardless of the faith they believe in.
Besides these there are many more places to visit in Gulmarg. One should visit this nature’s paradise once in a lifetime.
The best time to visit Gulmarg is from March to October. The weather is very pleasant here. One can reach to this place by all the means of transport.